Mr. Kaplan is admitted to practice in the United States Courts for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California. He is also admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Kaplan currently serves as the Secretary/Treasurer of the Beverly Hill Bar Association. He is the Board Liaison to the Criminal Law Section (and a past Chairperson) and is the immediate past Chair of the Solo and Small Firm / Law Practice Management Section. Mr. Kaplan is a past president of the BHBA Barristers. In 1993 he was presented the Laurence J. Blake award for distinguished service to the BHBA Barristers.
Mr. Kaplan was Chair of the State Bar of California Executive Committee of the Solo and Small Firm Section in 1995-1996. In 1996 he was presented with the Myer Sankary Award for Outstanding Leadership and Dedication. He remains an advisor to the Solo and Small Firm Executive Committee.
Mr. Kaplan is currently a member of the American Bar Association, Criminal Courts Bar Association, California Attorney’s for Criminal Justice, and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
In 2000, Mr. Kaplan served as counsel on the Rampart Independent Review Panel.
Mr. Kaplan is a frequent speaker on criminal law and related topics. Mr. Kaplan has spoken at the State Bar of California Annual Meeting, the Section Education Institute, the Solo and Small Firm Summit, and at the ABA Midyear meeting. He regularly teaches a class for new lawyers for the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
Mr. Kaplan has been voted by his peers as a Southern California SuperLawyer since 2006.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense
- White Collar Defense
- DUI/DMV Matters
- Vehicular Offenses
- Violent Crimes
- Sex Offenses
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1987
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1988
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1998
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1998
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1991
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California – 1987
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Beverly Hills Bar, Board of Governors, 1991 – 1992
- Beverly Hills Bar Barristers, President, 1992 – Present
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, President, 2017 – Present